We hear so much about how soap can dry out our skin, it makes one wonder if it is safe to use bar soap at all. Well, there are so many different types of bar soap available that it isn’t really all that difficult to find one that is ideal for your skin type. These days, soap isn’t nearly as harsh as it once was. The problem is that a lot of commercially-made soap products are loaded with harmful chemicals that aren’t very good for your skin. What you need to do is find the best bar soap that has natural ingredients. You will find a great selection at In this article, we are going to look at the various types of bar soaps, as well as which types of soap are best for various skin types. .
Types of Bar Soaps
The first thing we will look at is the various types of bar soaps that are available on the market today, and the types of ingredients that are used to make them. Most bar soaps contain lye (alkali), as well as oil or fat. The oils tend to be the main ingredients, and dictate how the soap is actually going to be used (moisturizing, acne fighting, etc.). The oils in the best bar soaps should be natural, such as rice bran oil, castor oil, coconut oil, palm oil, palm kernel oil, vegetable oils, and even some non-vegetable oils such as lard and tallow. The other factor that determines how soaps are to be used is how they are actually manufactured. Here is a rundown of the types of bar soaps that are available.
- Regular Bar Soap – This is the type of soap that you should try to avoid at all cost. Yes, it is the least expensive, but it is also the worst for your skin. Regular bar soap is loaded with chemicals that are meant to clean dirt from your body. But, these chemicals don’t completely go away, and a film is left on your body. These chemicals also have extremely high pH levels, so they can actually cause a lot of skin irritation. Another problem is that they are often loaded with perfumes and other scents, and are hard on anyone who has scent allergies. These soaps usually include such ingredients as sodium cocoate and tallowate.
- Superfatted Bar Soap–Saponification is the process of making bar soap, and when these soaps are created with an incomplete process, the soaps tend to have a lot more fats than regular bar soaps. Some of the chemicals used to make soaps can actually keep the fat from being processed properly, so superfatting is needed. This process will help to give the soap more moisturizing properties, so the skin won’t feel as irritated after using it as it is when you use regular bar soap.
- Glycerin Bar Soap–Glycerin soaps are clear, and they do not lather up as much as other types of bar soaps do. As far as soaps go, glycerin or clear soaps are usually the best bar soap to buy. It is usually all natural, and not loaded with a lot of harsh chemicals. But, if you have really sensitive skin, it can still cause some irritation.
- Organic Bar Soap – Organic soaps are made with oils and fats, but the manufacturing process is much different than it is for regular bar soap. Many of the products are actually synthetic, but these soaps are some of the mildest, and tend to be best for sensitive skin. The most common ingredients in this type of soap include sodium cocoyl isethionate, alpha olefin sulfonates, betaines, and sulfosuccinates.
- Combination Bar Soap – There are other types of bar soaps that are made from a combination of ingredients that are found in the other types of bar soaps. Generally, this type of soap is a mixture of supperfatted and other types of soaps. They are milder than regular soaps, but not as mild as the organic products.
Soaps for All Skin Types
Not all soap is good for all types of skin. You need to know what to look for in order to choose the best bar soap for your skin type. Most of us have some skin problems, from minor acne to eczema and others, and the soaps you use can help to treat these problems. When choosing bar soaps, those who have dry or oily skin need to be careful to find soaps with ingredients that are made for these exact skin types. Types of soaps available are:
- Sensitive Skin Soaps – If you have any problems with sensitive skin, including skin allergies, it is a good idea to look for organic soaps, which are available in bar form. These are soaps that contain natural ingredients that aren’t going to be harsh on your skin, and some are made specifically for sensitive skin. Another option for those who have a mixture when it comes to their skin type, and also have sensitive skin, is to use bar soaps that are medicated. A good moisturizing soap may have a tallow base, and this is also good for anyone who has certain skin conditions.
- Dry Skin Soaps – These are very mild soaps, and should contain such ingredients as aloe vera, vitamin E, cocoa butter, shea butter, almond oil, olive oil, or coconut oil, which are great for moisturizing. Make sure that you use soaps with no fragrances, as the chemicals used to create the fragrances can be hard on your skin.
- Oily Skin Soaps – If you have oily skin, the best type of bar soap for you to use is a glycerin soap. They will help to clean the oils from your skin, and also will help to purify the skin. Look for glycerin soaps that are non-comodegenic, otherwise you could end up with clogged pores.
- Acne Soaps – Finally, we have soaps that are used to help treat acne. These are usually medicated or antibacterial, and are a bit harsher than other types of soaps. But, they will not only treat acne that you have now, they will also help stop future breakouts.